- Garantisadong Pambata is a biannual week long delivery of a package of health services to children between the ages of 0-59 months old with the purpose of reducing morbidity and mortality among under fives through the promotion of positive Filipino values for proper child growth and development.
Routine Health Services
|Health Service||Dosage||Route of Administration||Target Population|
|Vitamin A capsule||200,000 IU or 1 capsule100,000 IU or ½ cap or 3 drops||Orally by drops||12-59 months old, nationwide9-12 months old infants receiving AMV nationwide|
|Ferrous Sulfate(25 mg. Elemental Iron per ml; 30 ml. Bottle as taken home medicine with instructions)||0.3ml(2-6 mos) once a day
0.6ml(6- 11mos) once a day
|Orally by drops||2-11 months old infants in Mindanao area, including evacuation centers in armed conflict areas.|
| Routine Immunization-BCG*
Get a plagiarism free copy of this essay from our experts
Garantisadong Pambata (GP)
-Hepa B (if
|Intradermal on right deltoid
Intramuscularly on anterior thigh
Subcutaneously on deltoid
| Nationwide0-11 mos
|Deworming drug(if available)||1 tablet as single dose||Orally||36-59 mos, nationwide|
|Weighing||0-59 mos, nationwide|
- The child should not have received megadose of Vit. A above the recommended dosage within the past 4 weeks except if the child has measles or signs and symptoms of Vit A. deficiency.
- For any child between 12-23 months, who missed any of his routine immunization, the health worker should give the child the necessary antigen to complete FIC and shall be recorded as such.
- Vitamin A, Iron and Iodine
- Sources: green leafy and yellow vegetables, fruits, liver, seafoods, iodized salt, pan de bida and other fortified foods.
- These micronutrients are not produced by the body, and must be taken in the food we eat; essential in the normal process of growth and development:
- Helps the body to regulate itself
- Necessary in energy metabolism
- Vital in brain cell formation and mental development
- Necessary in the body immune system to protect the body from severe infection.
- Eating Sangkap Pinoy-rich foods can prevent and control:
- Protein Energy Malnutrition
- Vitamin A Deficiency
- Iron Deficiency Anemia
- Iodine Deficiency Disorder
- Breast milk is best for babies up to 2 years old. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first six months of life. At about six months, give carefully selected nutritious foods as supplements.
- Breastfeeding provides physical and psychological benefits for children and mothers as well as economic benefits for families and societies.
- Provides a nutritional complete food for the young infant.
- Strengthens the infant’s immune system, preventing many infections.
- Safely rehydrates and provides essential nutrients to a sick child, especially to those suffering from diarrheal diseases.
- Reduces the infant’s exposure to infection.
For the Mother
- Reduces a woman’s risk of excessive blood loss after birth
- Provides a natural method of delaying pregnancies.
- Reduces the risk of ovarian and breast cancers and osteoporosis.
For the Family and Community
- Conserves funds that otherwise would be spent on breast milk substitute, supplies and fuel to prepare them.
- Saves medical costs to families and governments by preventing illnesses and by providing immediate postpartum contraception.
Complimentary Feeding for Babies 6-11 Months Old
What are Complementary Foods?
- foods introduced to the child at the age 6 months to supplement breastmilk
- Given progressively until the child is used to three meals and in-between feedings at the age of one year.
Why is there a Need to Give Complementary Foods?
- breastmilk can be a single source of nourishment from birth up to six months of life.
- The child’s demands for food increases as he grows older and breastmilk alone is not enough to meet his increased nutritional needs for rapid growth and development
- Breastmilk should be supplemented with other foods so that the child can get additional nutrients
- Introduction of complementary foods will accustom him to new foods that will also provide additional nutrients to make him grow well
- Breastfeeding, however, should continue for as long as the mother is able and has milk which could be as long as two years
How to Give Complementary Foods for Babies 6-11 Months Old?
- Prepare mixture of thick lugao/ cooked rice, soft cooked vegetables. Egg yolk, mashed beans, flaked fish/chicken/ground meat and oil.
- Give mixture by teaspoons 2-4 times daily, increasing the amount of teaspoons and number of feeding until the full recommended amount is consumed
- Give bite-sized fruit separately
- Give egg alone or combine with above food mixture