Below are the procedure on how to hang main line IV and tubing.
- Wash hands.
- Compare type and amount of solution with physician’s order.
- Check pharmacy label for client’s identification, solution type, additives and expiration date.
- Select appropriate IV tubing.
- Obtain needle-less cannula or adapter for the established infusion site.
- Remove the outer wrapper around the IV bag.
- Inspect the bag carefully for tears or leaks by applying gentle pressure to bag.
- Examine for discoloration, cloudiness or foreign matter.
- Time-tape and label bag.