You are the Chief Quality & Safety Director for Jasmine Hospital in Pine City, Colorado. The community has 80,000 people and is a fairly new community of 25-50 year old residents who have moved in over 10 years time. Your hospital is the primary acute care hospital within 10 miles. There are a large number of sporting injuries and vehicle accidents that result in a significant number of head traumas and broken bones in the middle through high school age group. Your emergency room is a general trauma ED staffed by ED generalists, but there is a clinic within two miles that has a host of orthopedic and neurology surgeons and neurologists.
Problem: Waiting times for bringing in the specialties to the ED averages 2-4 hours as most of them are in surgery within the hospital, but not available. You have had four deaths in 3 months from not being able to address compound fractures or head traumas fast enough for these teenagers. You average five (5) neuro-ortho cases per day during the week with most of these from 11a-7p each weekday. You also average 10 neuro-ortho cases from Friday at 5p to Saturday midnight each week.
Your job is to prevent deaths and come up with a plan that can address the needs of this community within your ED. Address the following using Six Sigma, Lean thinking, educational needs, and community outreach. Address the following:
- What do you believe the initial problem is?
- Who are the customers (stakeholders) and what do they need? (minimum of 5)
- How would each customer (stakeholder) describe being satisfied in the end?
- What are the current processes being used (you may need to make some of this up)? Be complete. Identify the process from an event to a full or limited but permanent recovery.
- What is some of the identified waste seen in this process? (Imagined waste).
- Are the processes currently planned or unplanned?
- Who are the personnel involved currently in each step?
- Give time estimates for the steps? (may need to create some)
- What would be new goals for being timelier?
- What are the educational needs for the various stakeholders?
- Is there duplication or redundancy adding to the waste?
- What measures would need to be made to evaluate improvements? Are the measurements reliable measures?
- What is needed to sustain these improvements?
- What new agreements would need to be made to sustain these improvements?
- What are the rewards identified for all the stakeholders in this process?
This is an 8-10 page final APA paper with an additional cover page and reference page. You are to integrate your ideas, define your tools, strategies, and support for building a new quality improvement program in your community.