You are the administrator of an established orthopedic surgery practice. Due to higher demand for MRI services resulting from increased population and the relocation of many employers to the local community, the practice is considering a new service for provider-based delivery–a portable MRI, for example. As an administrator, justify the reasoning behind provider-based delivery and develop a complete launch plan, including a budget and consideration of environmental factors. You must determine how data will be used to support the new service, and consider human resources issues affecting this new program.
The practice has these issues to consider:
· The local population’s payer mix consists of managed care and Medicare patients. Recently, in an effort to reduce health care costs, many managed care companies have reduced the payment for MRI services. At the same time, the practice is facing increasingly stiff competition from other, lower-priced MRI providers. The main advantage of your orthopedic group is its ability to provide high quality medical services that other providers can not match.
· This practice needs to plan for the recruitment and hiring of an experienced radiologist and other highly skilled technical staff to start the MRI services. The tight employment situation makes finding qualified personnel a challenge. Also, after hiring the appropriate staff, it is critical for the administrator to think proactively in order to motivate the staff and use an appropriate appraisal and reward system.
· If the orthopedic surgery practice decides to provide MRI services, the following financial data need to be considered:
o Cost of purchasing an MRI machine: $1,200,000
o Annual cost of hiring new radiologist to provide professional service: $500,000
o Annual maintenance and warranty: $30,000
o Additional office space to accommodate MRI: 5,000 SF; rent is $20/SF
o Hiring four additional technical staff at $60,000 per FTE
o Other operating expenses: $50,000
o Projected number of MRI procedures per year: 10,000
Based on the background provided, prepare a 1400- to 1750-word paper that answers the following questions:
- Provide a clear and concise statement of the opportunity to be addressed. The opportunity statement should be no more than two or three sentences and, in many cases, a single, well-crafted sentence is sufficient.
- Discuss the importance of an administrator’s vision in turning the challenge into an opportunity. Identify the organizational structures that would be most effected by this situation and explain the impact on each organizational structure identified.
- Consider and discuss how the environmental factors such as competition, reimbursement, employment, etc., may impact the opportunity of starting MRI services. Explain the risks or benefits that the practice would face by attempting to capitalize on the opportunity.
- Explain what human resource plans or initiatives are needed to manage the strategic goals associated with the identified opportunity.
- Develop various specific budget profiles that achieve optimal allocation of organizational resources to manage the opportunity.
o A line-item budget for personnel cost
o A functional budget to calculate personnel costs per MRI procedure
o A program (clinic) budget for providing health care services for 3000 patient visits
Final Project Timeline
You should budget your time wisely and work on your project throughout the course. As outlined below, some assignments and CheckPoints in the course are designed to assist you in creating your final project. If you complete your course activities and use the feedback provided by the instructor, you will be on the right track to successfully complete your project.
¨ Suggested in Week One: Read the Final Project Overview and Timeline in Appendix A.
¨ Suggested in Week Two: Complete part 3 of the outline after completing the CheckPoint and Assignment for Week Two.
¨ Suggested in Week Six: Complete the budget portion of your final project after completing the Week Six CheckPoint and assignment. The format for the final project will be the same.
¨ Suggested in Week Seven: Complete part 4 of the outline after completing the reading in Week Seven.
¨ Due in Week Nine: Submit your final project.