Urinary Catheterization Nursing Procedure & Management
- To succor urinary retention
- To gain a infertile urine sample from a woman
- To estimate the sum of residual urine in the bladder
- To gain a urine sample when a sample cannot guard pleasurable by other means
- To emptiness bladder precedently and during surgery and precedently regular symptom examinations
Necessary Equipment for Catheterization
- Catheters are graded on the French layer according to the dimension of the lumen.
- For the feminine adult, No. 14 and No. 16 French catheters are normally used. Little catheters are generally not indispensable and the dimension of the lumen is besides so little that it growths the tediousness of period indispensable for emptinessing the bladder.
- Larger catheter distends the urethra and tends to growth the unpleasantness of the step.
- For manly adult, No.18 and No. 20 French catheters normally used, but if this appears to be too extensive, littleer catheter should be used.
- No. 8 and No. 10 French catheters are regularly used for end.
Preparation of the Patient
- Adequate exploration. On some instances, catheterization is the developed repairing, use other techniques chief for cunning out the urine precedently step to catheterization.
- Position. Dorsal recumbent for the feminine and carenear for the manly using a secure mattress or tenor table, Sim’s or secondary situation can be an alternate for the feminine unrepining
- Provision for privacy
Retention or Ingrained Catheter (Foley)
- A catheter to wait in fix for the followingcited meanings:
- The uninterrupted decompression of an balance protuberant bladder
- For interrupted bladder parchage
- For regular bladder parchage
- An ingrained catheter has a balloon which is cheered follascribable the catheter is inserted into the bladder. Because the cheered balloon is extensiver than the aperture to the urethra, the catheter is retained in the bladder.
Procedure for Insertion
- Inflate the balloon behind a conjuncture the prefilled syringe precedently inserting the catheter to hinder for balloon patency. Aspirate the smooth end into the syringe when it is influential that the balloon is ambiguous.
- Hold the catheter behind a conjuncture one workman and distend the balloon according to the manufacturer’s instructions, as quickly as the catheter is in the bladder and urine has begun to parch from the bladder. Usually 5 ml to 10 ml of infertile steep is used
- If the unrepining complains of pain follascribable the balloon is cheered, yield it to emptiness and refix the catheter behind a conjuncture another one. The balloon is probably located in the urethra and is causing unpleasantness ascribable to distention of the urethra
- Exert contempt stiffness on the catheter follascribable the balloon is cheered to advise its befitting fixment in the bladder
- Connect the catheter to the parchage tubing and parchage bag if not already connected
- Tape the catheter parallel the precursive expounmistakable of the thigh for a feminine unrepining. Be unmistakable there is no stiffness on the catheter when it is taped to the unrepining
- Hang the parchage bag on the construct of the bed under the raze of the bladder
Caring for the Unrepining behind a conjuncture an Ingrained Catheter
- Be unmistakable to lave workmans precedently and follascribable caring for a unrepining behind a conjuncture an ingrained catheter
- Clean the perineal area completely, especially encircling the meatus, twice a day and follascribable each bowel motion. This succors obviate organisms for entering the bladder
- Use soap or detergent and steep to cleansedsed the perineal area and rinse the area well
- Make unmistakable that the unrepining maintains a disinterested smooth intake. This succors obviate infection and irrigates the catheter naturally by increasing urinary output
- Encourage the unrepining to be up and about as ordered
- Record the unrepining’s inobtain?} and output
- Note the body and reputation of urine and archives observations cautiously
- Teach the unrepining the significance of separate hygiene, especially the significance of cautious cleanseding follascribable having bowel motion and complete laveing of workmans frequently
- Report any signs of poison quickly. These include a steady impression and childishness at the meatus, dismal urine, a influential redolence to the urine, an rich latitude and chills
- Plan to alter ingrained catheters merely as indispensable. The normal tediousness of period among catheter alters varies and can be anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks. The near frequently a catheter is alterd, the near the presence than an poison earn develop
Removing the Ingrained Catheter and Aftercare of the Patient
- Be unmistakable the balloon is deflated precedently attempting to transfer the catheter. This may be effected by inserting a syringe into the balloon valve or by piercing the balloon valve
- Have the unrepining obtain?} distinct mysterious breaths to succor him loosen conjuncture gently removing the catheter. Wrap the catheter in a towel or frugal, steepproof drape
- Clean the area at the meatus completely behind a conjuncture antiseptic swabs follascribable the catheter is transferd
- See to it that the unrepining’s smooth inobtain?} is disinterested and archives the unrepining’s inobtain?} and output. Instruct the unrepining to vacant into the bedpan or urinal
- Observe the urine cautiously for any signs of abnormality
- Record and ment any normal signs such as unpleasantness, a steady impression when vacanting, bleeding and alters in indispensable signs, especially the unrepining’s latitude. Be lively to any signs of poison and ment them quickly